I read in a recent survey only 50% of people walk their dog everyday.
Not everyone has a lot of time to exercise everyday. We have dogs, kids, work, school and many other responsibilities. So what about just 10 minutes? Maybe we can make that much time to exercise with our dog after knowing what the benefits are!? Dog Walking 30 minutes a day is ideal but walking in 10 minute increments is a great way to get started!
Benefits for you and your dog:
- Improves fitness for both of you. Walking is a weight baring exercise so you are becoming stronger the more you do it.
- Dog walking helps maintain bone density. Which is important as you and your dog age.
- As you continue your walking program, your lung capacity increases.
- Strengthens the bond between you and your dog! Your dog loves to experience the universe with you!
- The smells in the fresh air reduce stress and increase happiness. Oxygen energizes you both.
- Walks with your dog can also boost immunity. The fresh air is also good for that! Breathing stale air will not supply your body with enough oxygen to fuel your cells to function properly. So get outside and take some deep breaths!
- Walking in 10 minute increments 3 times a day could help you and your dog with weight loss. Multiple dog walking sessions will increase your metabolism. Walking fast or vigorous, obviously burns more calories.
- Helps with the digestive system. Regular walks can avoid constipation and be extremely beneficial to your dogs digestive system and yours!
- Regular walks help your dog to be less destructive. As I have stressed in my other blogs. Exercise can help with a multitude of behavior issues and keep them more calm.
- Grounding benefits for the dogs or you if you take your shoes off. I have a blog on the many benefits of grounding for you and your dog. It's important to connect to the earth and center yourself. Think of grounding therapy as vitamin "G" for grounding!
As you can see, there are many mental and physical benefits to walking just 10 minutes at a time. Hopefully this encourages you to get out and get some fresh air with your dog! I look forward to walking my dogs everyday!
Enjoy your walks!
PS. If you are unable to get out and walk due to physical reasons or weather. We have dog treadmills and treadwheels to help with that! That way your dog can still get the exercise they need until they can get outside! It really helps with a variety of behavior issues.
The Dog Connection